6 Jun 2011

The England Bug

9 March 1994, Wembley Stadium, England v Denmark. That's where it all started. Having himself been to Sweden for the European Championships in 1992, my dad took me to my first England game. Only seven years old, and the fact that it was only my second ever football game, I have to say that I wasn't entirely interested, but that interest came very quick. 

Followed not so long after by friendlies against Norway and Hungary, my first big experience came at Euro 96. With tickets to every game in which England were due to play (up to and including the final) it all kicked off with Switzerland. A previous missfiring Alan Shearer opened the scoring with the game ending 1-1. This was my first experience of a true atmosphere, getting even better during the 2-0 win against Scotland and better still in the 4-1 defeat of Holland. Not knowing much at the time, this was a side that played "total football," with the likes of Dennis Bergkamp and Ronald De Boer in the side, and we smashed them 4-1. On a side note, that is possibly the greatest game I've ever seen live. Anyway, the next game was where it all started. A 0-0 draw with Spain in the Quarter Finals after 90 minutes and extra time brought about a penalty shoot out. Up stepped Stuart Pearce. Elder fans will know better than me Pearce's record from the penalty spot. Missing in the 1990 World Cup Semi Final shoot out, I almost heard the groans as he stepped up. Dad explained. Put it away he did and what a celebration! Walking out of Wembley Stadium that night is where the passion for England kicked in for me. Something I never wanted to let go, everyone was so upbeat with singing and dancing in the streets. My next Wembley experience came with the heartbreak of the Semi Final shoot out loss to Germany. Walking away feeling upset and drained, supporting England and going to the games was something I couldn't get enough of. 

31 March 2004, Ullevi Stadium Gothenburg, Sweden v England. The first away game that I went to, again courtesy of my dad. It was like nothing I'd seen before. We got off the coach in the centre of Gothenburg and all you could see was England fans, everywhere. In the town centre, in the pubs, just england shirts everywhere, worn by fans who would greet you even though you had never met before. A disappointing 1-1 draw was just the start of a long and seemingly endless run of unimpressive displays that I witnessed away from home. Nevertheless, I became addicted, I caught the England bug. 

"it's quite worrying really when you book the trip then worry about the price afterwards." A quote from my dad that summed it all up really. We kept a close eye on the Englandfans forums, looking for any rumours of which far flung country we were playing in next, ready to search online for the best deal on flights to said country. Poland, Denmark, Spain, France, Switzerland (England 3-2 Argentina, with 2 last minute goals by a one Michael Owen) and two ridiculously long, but life experiencing, trips to Qatar (v Brazil) and USA ( v USA and Columbia) are just some of the places I've been to watch the English national side play. Along with those, I've also been to Euro 2004, Germany 06 and South Africa in 2010, experiencing atmospheres that you wouldn't believe. It's hard to explain it to someone who hasn't experienced the feeling themselves. It's just something about an away game atmosphere, before and during the game. With the glaring sunshine, Rossio Square in Lisbon and the fan fests in Germany - during Euro 04 and the World Cup in 06 respectively - are particular personal highlights. 

26 March 2011, Millenium Stadium Cardiff, Wales v England. Where it all ended. After travelling all the way to South Africa the previous year for the World Cup game against USA, only to watch another lacklustre performance from a team of "superstars," I decided enough was enough. I watched the game against Algeria back home on the box, and to see Wayne Rooney at the end of the game criticising the travelling England fans was nothing short of a disappointment in my eyes. These fans had travelled half way round the world to offer support to the team and spent a great deal of money - the trip for the USA game cost me more than I earn in a month for that one game alone - and here was one of the so called superstars complaining that he was being booed off the pitch. Anyway, I've been there and wrote that post already, what really finished it off for me is the whole setup. From FIFA and their corruption to the FA, the manager and the lack of passion shown by the players. More worried about what's going on at club level, I have to ask myself just how many players really see it as an honour to pull on the national shirt, which will bring me on to my next post. 

We decided to go to the Wales game because it was just down the road, but for me, the time when I used to spend good money to travel the world with the national side has passed.

No comments: