6 Jun 2010

Growing Up With Football

Recently in game world Voller on Football Manager Live, someone raised a discussion about footballing memories. Despite only being 23 years old, I feel that I have experienced enough to add to this discussion.

My Dad was a massive Liverpool fan growing up, following them home and away every game before getting into his home town club Coventry. I was born in 1987, the year Coventry won the FA Cup. I was born on Friday 30th January, the very next day my Dad went to the fourth round against Man Utd, so growing up I was always going to be seriously into football. I remember my first ever game was a testimonial at Highfield Road when I was very young, one in which my Dad can't even remember but he believes it was John Sillett. I don’t really remember much about that game other than the fact that my Mum was also dragged along. My first real memory of watching football was watching the 1994 World Cup, and seeing Roberto Baggio sending the ball into orbit in the penalty shootout that handed Brazil the Cup. For some reason though my strongest memory of that tournament was the very colourful (and small) Jorge Campos in goal for Mexico. I remember watching it with my Dad - he was trying to make us pitta breads using the toaster, an epic fail, just one of those vivid memories that stays with you forever - in a match that Campos had three goals against him, all disallowed.

Growing up I went through supporting a number of clubs that I really can't explain how I got into. Some of them I suppose was because they were successful, but others I have no idea. These included Sheffield Wednesday, Southampton, Man Utd and finally Blackburn. Whilst still a Blackburn fan, my Dad took me to see them when they came to Coventry. Coventry beat them 5-0 on a snowy day in December. After that I turned to supporting my home town club, much to the dismay of my Mum as she had already bought me a load of Blackburn merchandise for Christmas. At first I rarely got to go and see Coventry play, just getting to see them every now and then when I was taken, before my own money allowed me to get a season ticket in 2005, the first season at the new and impressive Ricoh Arena. I never renewed the season ticket after that season until last term, and have since signed up for next season also. Let's see what Aidy Boothroyd can do.

My Dad also followed England home and away. I remember watching the news in worry when they showed rioting on the streets of Sweden at Euro 92, a tournament that he was at. Running battles were shown between England fans and police, with shop windows getting smashed and a lot of looting going on. He still has a (horrible) Hugo Boss shirt that he has kept as a souvenir. He took me to my first England game in 1994 at the old Wembley against Denmark, followed by a number of friendlies and qualifiers before going to Euro 96. I have fantastic memories of Euro 96. Before, during and after the games I experienced an atmosphere and togetherness that I never had before, and that 4-1 victory against Holland was something else. After that I rarely missed a home game. My first away game was in 2004 in Gothenburg, one in which we lost 1-0, but after that I was hooked! We stepped off the bus in the town centre and immediately an English couple walked passed us and said hi. We had never seen them before, but I soon realised that away from home, all fans were your friends. The first bar we walked into was packed out with English fans, as everyone was chatting, drinking and singing. The same could be said for once we got into the stadium, all standing it was non stop singing from start to finish. The game however, was disappointing, as can be said for most of the away trips I have ever been on. After that I just had to go to every game, no matter how much it cost. It got to the point where we were booking the trip without even thinking of the price, a dangerous point to get to. We have since learned.

After the Sweden game was Euro 2004 in Portugal. Again great memories of this tournament, although I was disappointed that we only got to go to the one stadium over three games. The group games against France and Croatia followed by the Quarter Final against Portugal were all held at Lisbon’s Estadio Da Luz, an excellent modern stadium. Rosario Square in the centre of Lisbon was amazing, full of England fans and flags.

Two years later saw us travelling to Germany for the World Cup in 2006. This is how bad it got, to save money we travelled over by coach on a three day trip, travelling there and back for every single England game. Another good tournament in which we got eliminated by Portugal on penalties. We were sitting behind the goal that the penalties were taken, so it was not a nice experience.

My travels with England has taken me to some of the best stadiums in the world and gave me the best experiences of my life, I must thank my Dad heavily for this! Next week we travel out to South Africa for England’s first game of the 2010 World Cup against USA. Although this will be my fourth tournament, I still have that same feeling of excitement as I had before any of the others.

Come on England!

No comments: