21 Jun 2010

Wrong About Rooney!

A good journalist always admits when they’re wrong. Okay I’m not that good, and I’m not a journalist either but I just thought I should mention that I was wrong when I mentioned, in an earlier post, that Wayne Rooney is the man for the England captaincy.

Just days after writing the piece, Rooney returned to performing his old tricks. In a friendly against Platinum Stars just before the World Cup, he was flying in to tackles, clashing with opposing players and arguing with officials, gaining a yellow card in the process.

His biggest mistake came at the end of the Algeria game when, as fans booed the team off the pitch, he said down the lens of a television camera “"Nice to see your home fans boo you, that's loyal supporters." Now as an England fan myself, I find his comments almost insulting. The amount of money a travelling England fan spends, and the things he has to go through to watch his country play, are something Rooney will never understand. It’s fine earning £100,000 per week, and travelling to South Africa on a private jet, but when you look at the fans, it’s a completely different story. These people spend close to - some even over - their respective monthly wage. Bearing in mind my trip to just the USA game cost me just over £1,000, some travel agents were offering a tournament long trip for £10,500 not including tickets. If someone spends this much to travel half way around the world to watch their country play a game of football, I feel they have a right to express their disappointment at such a dismal performance.

Rooney has since apologised, although my thoughts are that this came more from Rooney’s PA and the Football Association rather than from Rooney’s own mouth. Either way I can respect that he made the apology however sincere it was. One thing is for sure though, Wayne Rooney is a big part of the England team, and any success we see this summer and beyond, you can bet the Manchester United striker will have something to do with it.

As disappointed as I am with the comments, I am still fully behind him and the team. Come on Rooney, and come on England!

No comments: